New Year's Affirmations

By Abstractsmile - January 02, 2019



It's finally 2019! I'm sitting on my couch sipping some Café Bustelo (not sponsored), reflecting last year. Only close friends and family know that as of last week I took a big leap and I quit my corporate job. Even though I loved what I did, I felt that the time and efforts I continue to apply to this job were not bringing me fulfillment.  I'm a firm believer that you should give everything a try, but if it doesn't fulfill you or encourage you to grow within than you most move in from it. I decided to leave this job in 2018. I'm making an affirmation to myself that the next career move needs to provide me with growth within and fulfillment. 

I recently was told "you have so much creativity to offer from your styling to your writing". This year I have decided to schedule two days a week to post a blog post. Even though I'm usually on social media, I had forgotten why I started the blog, and it was a platform to express myself. I have so many thoughts, ideas, life lessons that I want express with all of you. My second affirmation is to get back to writing, head to a near coffee shop, put my headphones on, and focus on my writing. When I started this blog 4 years ago, I did it to provide a platform for young girls to feel confident within themselves. I have always felt different, from the way I dressed, looked, and spoke, and it's ok. So if you're still reading this, remember you're beautiful, radiate that beauty, and be confident with everything you have to provide. 

I want to continue to create memories with my family. My hubby and baby boy mean the world to me. I want to be more present for those small moments, those milestones. Many of you don't know but I was only out of maternity leave for around a month and a half, I feel like postpartum depression hit me really hard because I wasn't with my baby for so long. My emotional state took a big toll, I was so committed to a corporate job and forgot the essence of spending quality time with my family. My next affirmation is to make more time to be with my two guys, because if it wouldn't be for both of them I would be lost. I love you Brandon and Lucas, my Demetrios boys.

Lastly, apply a new challenge and get back to YouTube. Once upon a time (when I was 22 , 23), I had a YouTube channel where I curated videos with lookbooks walking around the city with music that spoke to me (which is something I want to showcase as well, I'm a big music buff). But the YouTube channel got in the wrong hands and all the work I had created got deleted, but it's fine. My husband has been nothing but super supportive with my creativity so for Christmas he got me all this equipment which I will use to create videos. Since a lot of you love to see videos of Lucas, he will make an appearance, you'll see some makeup tutorials, and lookbook styling tips. 

If you're still reading this, thank you! My dearest followers and supporters, you guys are amazing. I look at 2018 as the year where I learned to appreciate myself a bit more, and I welcome 2019 with this new transition. To end this with a sentence, I continue to use in each post: As always I hope to inspire you not only with my style, but also with my words, remember to add some lipstick and go conquer the world. Xoxo, Abstractsmile 


Blazer Coat: H&M (an oldie)
Sweater: H&M (head over to their site or in stores, so soft!)
Jeans: Gap  Mom's Jeans (literally perfect)
Shoes: Steve Madden



All pictures were taken in Hoboken, NJ by the lovely Leslie Moncada (IG: lesliemoncadaphotography)


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments